Coinciding with the opening of the London International Wine Fair Decanter has announced the winners of the Decanter World Wine Awards 2012 and Virginia claimed 11 medals!
Surprisingly, this number is down from previous years, but there were also fewer submissions. As you can see from the chart below in 2011 Virginia Wines won 14 awards and in 2010 they won 20. However, that coincides with a big push by the State of Virginia to get the wines recognized on the world stage, so there was a bigger push to submit wines.
The truth is many Virginia Wineries are not interested in selling outside of the sate, so there is little incentive to submit to award competitions like Decanter, especially with the much-improved Virginia Governor's Cup carrying so much more weight locally.
That being said, it is certainly a great honor to win the award and it is a sign that Virginia Wines continue to impress.
Justin Bogarty, owner of Veramar Vineyards, posted the following to Facebook:
This marks the fourth year in a row that Veramar Vineyard has received medals from Decanter magazine. “For us this is like the main attraction at a title boxing event! We may be consider the underdog wine region taking on the Champs – France, Italy and California. Not that we can deliver a knock-out blow, to someone that is 100 times, 200 times, or even 1000 times our size…but it is like getting a split decision from the judges .” said Justin Bogaty Winemaker Veramar Vineyard.
Equally we are also extremely pleased that other Virginia wineries like Breaux, Barboursville, Boxwood, and Williamsburg Winery were able to deliver glancing blows as well.
The Virginia Wines that won metals are:
- Barboursville Vineyards Octagon 2007
- Barboursville Vineyards Viognier Reserve 2010
- The Boxwood Winery Topiary 2007
- Breaux Vineyards Meritage 2007
- Breaux Vineyards Viognier 2010
- Veramar Vineyard Cabernet Franc 2010
- Veramar Vineyard Rooster Red NV
- Williamsburg Winery Adagio 2009
- Williamsburg Winery Gabriel Archer Reserve 2007
- Williamsburg Winery Vintage Reserve Chardonnay 2010
- Williamsburg Winery Virginia Trianon, Cabernet Franc 2007