Some quick thoughts on the Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux tasting in Washington DC last night:
- I think the 2010 vintage is much more elegant and complex than the 2009 vintage.
- Both 2009 and 2010 are wonderful, but in different ways.
- I did think there were fewer misses in 2010,
- I heard a lot of whispers last night about how good the Château Brane-Cantenac is, and two people with me at the futures table were also purchasing Brane futures.
- Sauternes & Barsac are also very impressive, I noted levels of acidity that I am not used to seeing in vintages this young from the region.
- People in DC know and love their wine, there was a lot of excitement for both the event and the vintage.
Other random thoughts:
Some of my favorites last night were: Château Brane-Cantenac, Château Figeac, Château Malescot Saint-Exupéry, Château Dufort-Vivens, Château La Lagune, and Chateau Lafon-Rochet.
While I was waiting for my car, I struck up a conversation with an older gentleman. After raving about the vintage and comparing notes about our travels to Bordeaux, he said something I thought was very true: "You are only a stranger in Bordeaux the first time."
I cannot thanks David Choi enough for pulling all of this together. It was an amazing event. I highly recommend that anyone in the DC area purchase their Bordeaux futures through Pearsons Wine & Spirits